Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in New York
We Fight for Injured Riders & Their Rights Throughout New York
New York’s open roads and city streets provide an exciting environment for motorcyclists who ride for pleasure or are merely looking to get from point A to point B without the expense and hassle of public transportation, taxis, or rideshare services. They can also present a serious danger for riders based on the negligence of other motorists who drive drunk, distracted, or careless.
The Sultzer Law Group P.C. represents injured riders across New York in personal injury and wrongful death actions related to motorcycle accidents. These cases can be challenging due to the burden of proving the fault of the other party and the fact that catastrophic injuries are often involved, but our litigators have the experience and resources to succeed.
To find out how we can help you, call our motorcycle accident lawyers in New York at (800) 552-0265.
What Causes Motorcycle Accidents?
Like any traffic accident, a motorcycle accident can be caused by any failure of a motorist or rider to act with proper caution or care while on the road. Our New York motorcycle accident lawyers take on cases involving driver negligence and wrongdoing, as well as all potential causes.
We can help victims of motorcycle accidents caused by:
- Distracted drivers
- Drunk drivers
- Right turns into a motorcyclist’s path
- Defective bike or auto parts
- Poorly maintained roads and intersections
Common Injuries in Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents often result in very serious injuries because of the exposed nature of riders. Common injuries sustained in these incidents include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs): The lack of protective barriers makes riders susceptible to head injuries. TBIs can have long-term consequences, affecting cognitive functions and overall quality of life.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: The impact of a motorcycle crash can cause damage to the spinal cord, leading to paralysis or other debilitating conditions.
- Road Rash and Abrasions: Contact with the road surface during a crash can cause extensive skin abrasions, commonly known as road rash. These injuries may demand extensive medical treatment and can leave lasting scars.
- Fractures and Broken Bones: The force of a motorcycle accident could result in fractures and broken bones, often requiring surgical intervention and rehabilitation.
- Internal Injuries: The internal organs of a rider are vulnerable to injury in a crash. These injuries may not be directly apparent, underscoring the importance of thorough medical evaluation after an accident.
New York Motorcycle Accident Laws
New York is a “no-fault” insurance state when it comes to most traffic collisions, but this does not apply to motorcyclists. Drivers, passengers, and other victims of car and truck accidents are entitled to compensation from their own insurance providers without having to prove fault – unless they are seriously injured. Motorcyclists must prove fault, no matter the extent of their injuries.
What does this mean for you? You should consider involving an attorney to help with your motorcycle accident claim, regardless of the severity of your injuries. If you want the other driver to be held responsible for causing your injuries and damage to your bike, you will have to prove fault.
Safety Reminder: Do Not Lane Split in New York
We would like to take this time to remind you that lane splitting is not legal in New York. Lane splitting is the practice of riding in between occupied lanes to weave through traffic or reach the front of a line at a red-light intersection. This is only legal in California at this time.
The problem with lane splitting in New York is that motorists will not be expecting you to be there, so they may inadvertently merge or swerve into your approaching motorcycle. While they are not completely excused from liability if they cause an accident while you were lane splitting, the circumstance does not benefit your claim and will make getting compensation more difficult. To stay safe and preserve the integrity of any potential motorcycle accident claims you may have, do not lane split while riding your motorcycle in New York.
What Damages Could Be Recovered in a Motorcycle Accident Claim?
Seeking compensation for damages after a motorcycle accident involves a comprehensive assessment of various factors. The following are potential damages that may be recovered in a motorcycle accident claim:
- Medical Expenses: Compensation can cover current and future medical costs, including hospitalization, surgeries, rehabilitation, and prescription medications.
- Lost Wages: If the accident results in missed work days or long-term disability, victims may be qualified for compensation for lost income and potential future earnings.
- Pain and Suffering: Non-economic damages, such as physical and emotional pain, mental despair, and loss of enjoyment of life, may be considered in a motorcycle accident claim.
- Property Damage: Compensation can be sought to restore or replace the motorcycle and any other damaged property.
- Wrongful Death: In cases where a motorcycle accident results in a fatality, surviving family members may seek a wrongful death claim to seek compensation for funeral costs, loss of financial support, and emotional distress.
- Punitive Damages: In certain situations, punitive damages may be awarded to punish the at-fault party for gross negligence or intentional misconduct.
Contact Our Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in New York Today
With our resources and our trial experience, you have a powerful ally in The Sultzer Law Group P.C. If we take on your motorcycle accident claim, we will thoroughly investigate to determine what caused your accident and who should be brought to justice. We will fight to maximize the financial compensation you are able to recover, not just for medical expenses and lost earnings but for future medical care, loss of potential earnings, and even emotional trauma.
Contact us today for a free, confidential review with our New York motorcycle accident attorneys.
“The Sultzer Firm has many highly-qualified and capable and experienced lawyers representing plaintiffs in consumer class actions.”- Judge Kenneth M. Karas - United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
“Counsel has demonstrated strong knowledge of the applicable law throughout the briefing process for this class certification motion.”- Judge Mark C. Scarsi - United States District Court for the Central District of California
“Class Counsel have prosecuted the Litigation with skill, perseverance, and diligence, as reflected by the Settlement Fund achieved ...”- Judge Román - United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
Automobile Defect $1.3 Billion
Class Action Against Falsely Advertised Holographic Weapons Sights $52 Million
Product Liability Verdict $30 Million
Brain Injury Case $22.5 Million
Personal Injury Case $13.5 Million
Child Wrongful Death Case $12 Million
Personal Injury Case $11 Million
Personal Injury Case $10.95 Million
Personal Injury Case $10.5 Million
Personal Injury Case $10 Million
Leaders in Class Actions
The Sultzer Law Group P.C. is one of the most sophisticated and successful class action firms in the country, recovering hundreds of millions of dollars for aggrieved consumers, employees, investors and small businesses nationwide.
Our attorneys are renowned by clients, courts, and adversaries for their creativity and tenacity in the courtroom.
Experience on Your Side
The seasoned trial attorneys at The Sultzer Law Group, P.C. possess over 100 years of collective experience in complex civil disputes.
Our attorneys have an unparalleled record of victories in complex commercial litigation & class action cases in nearly every state throughout the country.